The results of our PNG cruise survey – feedback from those who were on the cruise – are in. Different people will always have different experiences, but overall the feedback was very positive, especially for the conference aspect of the cruise. Here is a summary.
Rating the cruise-conference
Percentage of positive responses – those rating it excellent, very good or good
- Unlock the Past cruise web site? – 96%
- Clean Cruising booking/communication? – 93%
GENERAL PACIFIC ARIA CRUISE EXPERIENCE
- overall – 90%
- staff generally: room and meal service? – 87%
- activities and entertainment? – 76% (of those who used it)
- meals – 77%
UNLOCK THE PAST ONBOARD CONFERENCE
- Pacific Aria as a conference venue? – 93%
- conference organisation overall – 100%
- speakers and presentations overall – 100%
- value for money – 97%
How was the Research Help Zone (one-on-one with experts)?
- very useful – 29%
- moderately useful – 36%
- not useful – 4%
- didn’t use it – 32%
Was your research experience and knowledge enhanced by the cruise?
- considerably – 13%
- quite bit – 53%
- moderately – 27%
- not much – 7%
Did you connect with anyone with common research interests on the cruise?
- yes — 45%
- no — 55%
Of the 34 talks – how many did you attend?
- 6-10 – 3%
- 11-15 – 3%
- 16-20 – 23%
- 21-25 – 17%
- 26-30 – 23%
- 31-34 – 30%
A selection of comments
For a more complete list of comments, including some criticisms and suggestions click here.
- Clean Cruising very helpful. UTP organisation very helpful. Loved the opportunity to share research interests and my father’s war details …
- Had excellent service from Clean Cruising. Information on the web site was good, especially as the programme developed.
- I am not a cruise person really but found the genealogy activities while at sea enabled me to enjoy these days …
- The different restaurant choices were great.
- Found the meals a bit ordinary … the staff were excellent though, especially the cabin stewards.
- Was very impressed with the decor around the ship with many comfortable nooks to sit and watch the ocean or read a book.
- I would attend another genealogy cruise.
- Can’t fault the program.
- Great experience.
- Just having all the lectures in the one room so avoiding having to make a choice worked very smoothly.
- More research help zones.
- [More] time spent on how to establish the quality of specific sources, various research skills and processes, the production of family history in various ways (online, audio/visual/print).
- Dr Tom Lewis made it a real success for me … the networking was of value to me.
- The bookshop … added interest to the conference.
- All were interesting and different.
- Milne Bay battlefields great, Rabaul history and military trip and glass bottom trip on Conflict Island.
- All were good but Conflict Islands – amazing.
- The war tours and Conflict Island was very special.
- [locals] guiding us was very moving and memorable as was their native markets and dancing. Conflict Island was a scenic contrast and again the native guide was exceptionally informative.
- all of them!
- Rabaul volcano tour; Alotau war tour; Conflict Is turtle recovery.
- Rabaul was very interesting to see the volcanos also the war history.
- Milne Bay war tour and volcanic tour on Rabaul.
- The Milne Bay local experience visit to village. The driver guide had excellent knowledge of this area. Very friendly and helpful
- Rabaul visit to cemetery excellent and ceremony very appropriate. Japanese tunnel and local market interesting.
- I found the historical war sites tour of Rabaul the most interesting and emotional. I was very moved when visiting the War Graves cemetery.
- We enjoyed all the island visits and activities.
- All the excursions were great. The areas we visited really made the cruise for us as we would not have experienced them otherwise.
- Rabaul – the two tours were very good with the culture and history.
- Visit to war memorial
- Battle of Milne Bay – Rabaul Volcano – Conflict Island walking tour and also glass-bottom boat tour
- A great thankyou to all the dedicated organisers.
- Loved the programme. It is a joy to be with folks who are similarly minded …
- Hope to join you on another cruise.
- I thoroughly enjoyed the conference component of the cruise …
- I congratulate you on the choice of speakers …
- Thank you for a great experience, I enjoyed my third UTP cruise.
- I did enjoy the cruise. I felt like I was among friends … I also found other passengers were interested in what we were doing when wearing my UTP cruises T-shirt. I also appreciated that I could … do my own thing when I wanted … wasn’t locked into attending presentations which were of little interest … Finally, I was grateful for the extra … allowance to buy the ebooks.
- Overall, I was very satisfied with the trip and felt I had a worthwhile experience and made some valuable connections. I would do it again as it is rather special to be cruising with like-minded people … lectures give us a lot to talk about. The cruise itinerary to PNG was a highlight as we got a lot out of the shore excursions and saw a part of the world that is really only accessible by ship …
- Great experience all up. So much knowledge to take in and beautiful sights to see. Thank you everyone for your time and for sharing with us.
- The combination of cruise with conference offers a great “2-in-1” experience … was good that no presentations were held during shore excursions. I also appreciated the timing of the evening presentations to permit attendance at the later cruise ship theatre show …