This 5 hour tour starts in mid-morning after disembarking from the Singapore cruise on Saturday 13 April 2019. It takes us to two places of significant war interest and concludes with two drop off options – at Changi Airport for those flying out later that day/evening and Suntec City for those staying on in Singapore.
UPDATE 21 March 2019: we have reached the minimum of 20 bookings for this tour to go ahead. There are still a limited number of places for others to book.
Duration: 5 hours (includes travelling time)
Time: 10.00am – 3.00pm
Date: 13 April 2019
Pick-up: Singapore Cruise Terminal
Drop-off: Changi Airport and Suntec City
Bookings are made direct with us at Unlock the Past
Tour cost – AU$97.00 per person
Click here the graphic below to book the tour.
Tour information – places visited
The Battlebox is a former WWII British underground command centre inside Fort Canning Hill in the heart of Singapore City. It was part of the headquarters of Malaya Command, the army which defended Malaya and Singapore in WWII. It was inside the Battlebox that the British made the decision to surrender Singapore to the invading Japanese on 15 February 1942. Today, the Battlebox is a museum that unveils the true causes behind “the worst disaster and largest capitulation in British history”.
Kranji War Cemetery
Hear the stories of the many Commonwealth soldiers who laid down their lives in the name of freedom. Heroes, traitors, martyrs, victories, follies – join our guide in uncovering the lives behind the names carved in stone. Find out about the horrific incident that took place at the barracks square in 1942. Richard Reid will also speak briefly on the Australian context. Click here for more information
- 10.00am – Meet and greet participants at Singapore Cruise Centre
- 10.10am – Assemble and board coach (10 mins )
- 10.20am – Journey to Fort Canning Hill (25 mins)
- 10.45am – Explore the Battlebox (75 mins)
- 12 noon – Toilet and snack break at Battlebox Visitor Centre (20 mins)
- 12.20pm – Journey to Kranji War Cemetery (40 mins)
- 1.00pm – Explore Kranji War Cemetery – including time for Richard Reid (60 mins)
- 2.00pm – Board coach and journey to Changi Airport (35 mins)
- 2.35pm – Airport drop
- 2.35pm – Journey to Suntec City
- 3.00pm – Final drop-off at Suntec City – see map below. The drop-off point will be at Suntec Singapore Convention & Exhibition Centre (address: 1 Raffles Blvd, Singapore 039593). The coach will drop the participants off near the bus stop as indicated with a red circle. The taxi stand is conveniently located on the other side of the building
- All sites are subject to availability. Journeys Pte Ltd reserves the right to make changes to the itinerary if necessary.
- Note-taking and any form of recording are strictly not allowed on the tour. This does not apply to photo-taking of the places and group photos during the tour – only the company’s own “commentary & concepts”.
About Journeys Heritage Tours (tour operator)
Journeys Pte Ltd is an award-winning tour and travel services company. Its team comprises individuals such as historians, curators, avid researchers and guides specialised in various subject fields. A solid research base and years of experience in tour design and operations has positioned Journeys as the leader for creative travel services in Singapore. It is closely supported by its associate companies – The Changi Museum and Singapore History Consultant.